While bike riding might be daunting to some, it is undoubtedly one of the best ways to see a city. In 2015, Seoul joined the other 1000 cities around the world offering the bike-sharing system. Seoul Bike now has over 800 stations all across Seoul.
Planning your trip
- Locate bike rental stations for both renting and returning. (Find bike stations at Seoul Bike).
- Make sure the station you have chosen has enough bikes available.
- Please note that the blue in the map icons actually represents the percentage of bikes occupying docking stations at the location (the text at the top of the graphic says the opposite). Empty (white) map icons are out of bikes.
Renting The Bike
To rent a bike, you can register and pay anywhere via mobile or PC. Once you get your code, it is valid for 24 hours. If the code is not used within 24 hours, your money will be refunded. The pickup time and location is not required. The rental period time does not start until the bike is removed from the dock.
- Go to bikeseoul.com
- Select website language of your choice.
- Select “Purchase a voucher”
- Press the “OK” button on the right corner.
- Enter the length of time you want to rent the bike. ₩1000 per hour for up to 2 hours. Every 30 minutes thereafter you will be charged ₩1000.
- Select the method of payment and enter your credit card number.
- Press “make payment”.
- Enter the rest of your card information.
- Once the payment is successful, you’ll receive an 8-digit registration number.
Unlocking The Bike
- Press the power button located on the screen of the bike.
- Press the “Foreign Tourist” option.
- Enter the first four digits of the 8-digit rental number. Wait a moment for the next screen.
- Then enter the last four digits of the 8-digit rental number.
- Remove the green lock on the side of the bike and pull out the bike.
Locking Up Your Bike During The Trip
- Stop the bike at your desired location.
- Unravel the cable lock located on the left side of bike.
- Secure the lock through a nearby fixture or around the wheel of the bike and then connect it to the slot on the right side of the bike.
- To unlock your bike, press the home button and re-enter your 8-digit number.
Returning the bike
- Place the bike back onto the rack and secure the lock into its place.
- If there are no available racks for your bike to be returned, connect your bike to another docked bike by securing its supplementary lock(white lock) to yours.
- Make sure the lock is properly secured as there is a ₩1000 additional fee per 30 minutes after original rental period.
This is a great alternative to busses/subways/taxis where you’re underground or stuck in traffic. You can easily stop anywhere you want along the way, get your daily exercise, save money, and it’s eco-friendly.
Contributor: Jayde Kim
Want to find a new place to eat? A service in English that's been too hard to find? Check out the 10 Directory and come find what you're looking for!